October 2014 Minutes

Har-Ber Meadows POA Board Meeting

October 27, 2014

Board Members in attendance were: Rob Frits, Judy Hammond, Nancy Brown, Rob Stark, Ralph Gresham, Hope Feiner, Jason Combs, and Bobbye Kelly.

Board Members absent: Jerry Martin and Jamey Smithson.

Also in attendance were Alicia Hines, Treasurer; John Duke, Property Manager, and Officer Scott, Springdale PD.

Resident Concerns: none

The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by President, Rob Frits.

Designation of Quorum: President Rob Frits presiding.

New Business:

  1. Todd Loftin, principal of Helstern Middle School was present with three members of the school’s EAST program along with their sponsor. They explained the EAST program is a group of students involved in environmental and scientific studies. They presented a problem to the board of what would a person do if they found themselves lost in HBM. They then presented Phase I of their solution by requesting that the board consider installing directional maps at multiple sites, such as you might see in large department stores—-‘You Are Here’ marks with a map of where you want to go. They presented a picture of what the sign might look like and estimated the cost of the sign to be about $350.00. They suggested 20 signs would be enough. Rob Frits stated the board would discuss it by the next meeting and give them their answer.
  2. Rob Stark presented the following on the new website development.

He asked that the website should be listed as a ‘committee’ and have a monthly report listed under ‘Committee Reports’.

Rob Stark requested that he would like to have some volunteers to help focus on details of the rest of the development. He would also like to have the ‘rollout’ in December 2014, in conjunction with the neighborhood newsletter, which would be the last one. Rob Frits stated that we needed to form a subcommittee and asked for volunteers. The subcommittee will consist of John Duke, Alicia Hines, Judy Hammond, Hope Feiner, and Jason Combs.

 

Secretary’s Report: presented by Nancy Brown.

  • The minutes were emailed to board members for their review prior to tonight’s meeting. Judy Hammond moved, seconded by Hope Feiner to approve the September 2014 POA minutes. The motion passed 8-0.

 

Treasurer’s Report: presented by Alicia Hines.

Alicia emailed copies of the income statement and balance sheet for Sept. 2014 prior to this evening’s meeting for review by board members, along with the following email.

  • The September financials still look very good as we have continued to manage to control spending.
  • Highlights of the month:
  • We received the insurance reimbursement and the check from the City of Springdale.  Those currently show up under Miscellaneous revenue.
  • We are under budget for All Around still due to the fact of accepting the 7% discount for prepayment.
  • The main areas of concern continue to be the water bills.  The water bill for around the park continues to be worry some but also we are starting to see some rather large bills on Allie Frances.
  • For electricity, the pumps have created some large invoices – I assume we are running them most of the time.
  • We have closed the pool so September was the last month for payroll.
  • The collections of past due payments have required much work this month.  When divorces become an issue, we tend to have to spend much time working on information.  Homes are still selling out here as I continue to have much contact with closing companies.

 

Please let me know if you have questions.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Alicia Hines

She also added that she feels the electric and water bills are too high. Ralph Gresham added that the pump should no longer be an issue with the electric bill as the pump does not run during the cooler season. Alicia added that she had not received a bill from Jill for cleaning the pool house area.

Bobbye Kelly moved, seconded by Ralph Gresham to approve the September 2014 Financials. The motion passed 8-0.

Rob Frits asked Alicia to enter another line item for the money that we received from the city for the land by 56th Street expansion. It is now listed under ‘revenue’. He asked her to keep track of whatever we spend from it . Before the end of the year, if whatever we spend it on is a capital improvement, then it could be removed from “income”.

 

Property Manager’s Report: presented by John Duke.

  1. 412/Founder’s entry sign discussion – After months of discussion concerning whether to get another rock, and the inability to locate a suitable rock, etc., it was decided to move the rock from the 56th Street entrance to the Hwy 412 entrance and reduce the height of the rock to the meet city planning requirements. Scott at Emerson will check on this.
    • Insurance Proceeds = $5.918.50
  1. After multiple attempts to collect a new check from adjuster, I called the Arkansas Municipal League. The Municipal League has all of the documents needed to reissue checks. The new checks were received on 9/8.
    • Replace with rock sign that matches 56th Street entrance:
  1. Bid #1 – Emerson Monument = $6,146
  2. New lighting fixtures will be installed. New and brighter fixtures will cost $500 including installation.
    • The rock had been located and shipped.       Scott asked me to come by to look at the rock on 8/13 because he had some concerns.  The sign is the perfect height and width, however, there are several cracks in the rock and the rock did not hold up to sanding and stenciling the logo.  He did not recommend we use the rock.  He called the quarry and ordered a new rock the same day. The quarry has yet to locate a rock. Scott has gone to the quarry to help speed up the process.       So far, he has only located rocks that are 9’ ½” wide. The damaged sign is 13’ wide and 46 1/2” high. A suitable rock has not been located. Emerson Monument is checking on a couple of things as an alternative solution that will be discussed at the meeting.
    • Per City Planning, the dimensions can’t exceed those of the current sign.

 

  1. Brick discoloration in common areas
    • I have made contact with the City regarding the columns that are in need of repair on the Founder’s Park and Coyote Crossing bridges. I met the City on 7/31 to assess the situation. The City is saying since it is a bridge, it falls under AHTD maintenance. The City is including these repairs on the next report to be submitted to the AHTD.   Waiting to hear back from city on expected completion date.
    • The masonry company could not locate a matching brick. ACME Brick has inspected the brick and will no longer return calls or email.       I have located the original supplier which was Boral Brick. They no longer carry the Bordeaux brick but have a similar brick called Vining. The sample board was delivered on 7/23. The Vining brick is a good match. The brick was delivered to Har-Ber on 9/4.
    • Guadalupe Masonry has agreed to honor their original bid even with excluding the bridge columns. Jerry, Ralph and I met with Manuel on 9/11 to go over the process one more time before work begins. Manuel started the work on 9/16. Shortly after he began the work he called concerning a problem with the existing mortar. I put the project on hold until Ralph and Jerry return from trips.       Manuel declined to do the work.
    • We have solicited another bid for $9,600.       We found another brick mason that is interested. He is scheduled to repair a small section the week of 10/21 to see if it meets our approval. If so, he will submit a bid. (Meeting Discussion) – The new man name is Arturo. He will do a sample of wall and let it be inspected before proceeding. He will them give us his bid and board members will vote online to let him proceed once we get the bid and the results.

 

  1. Bridge Railing Paint
  • I have made contact with the City regarding the bridge railings that are in need of painting on the Founder’s Park and Coyote Crossing bridges. I met the City on 7/31 to assess the situation. The railing on the bridges are beyond standard design, therefore, the city currently does not claim responsibility to maintain. A bid was received from CertaPro Painters for $17,519.
  • Response from the City regarding “standard” bridge railing is posted under the Website Task Manager.
  • Meeting scheduled for 10/24 with the Mayor to discuss the railing.

 

  1. Broken light pole
    • 56th Street/Francis Fair – On hold for 56th street lane additions.

 

  1. Francis Fair Stop Signs/ASN Parking Discussion – John Duke is going to the city traffic meeting on 11-5-14 and report back his findings to the POA board.
    • The City of Springdale Traffic Committee met on 6/30 to discuss 3-way stop signs on Francis Fair and parking at ASN.
    • The City is conducting studies to determine if this request is an option.

Sam,

We received them today. We have to figure out the programming and installation procedures and then we will be ready to deploy.

Dub

On Sep 16, 2014, at 8:57 PM, Sam Goade <sgoade@springdalear.gov> wrote:

Dub,

 

Do you know the status of the two speed radar signs we ordered? Per the email below from John we need to deploy them to Har-Ber Meadows after we work through our initial list of predefined locations.

 

Thanks,

Sam

    • I have discussed the ASN parking situation with Keith Vire. Update to be discussed at Board Meeting. (See attached Traffic Committee minutes)
    • Discussed the no parking issue again with Keith.       He has worked on alleviating the parking issues on Isaac’s Orchard. Will share conversation at the Meeting.
    • Attending the November 5 Traffic Committee Meeting to discuss radar data from Francis Fair.

 

  1. Pool
    • Pool covered for the season.
    • Pool shade and furniture will be taken down in September.
    • Shower lines have been winterized.
    • Wading pool tile repair from Krystal Klear – $2,414.50 including tax. Will solicit another bid and have repaired in the spring before the pool opens.
    • Soliciting annual service bids. –
    • John duke updated this item by stating he would get more bids for servicing the pool in Jan./Feb. 2015.
  2. Christmas Lights
    • Daryl Ottaviano of Custom Lawn Care purchased Get Lit. Daryl will honor our previous Get Lit contract. He will give a 10% credit if lighting is installed in October.
    • Daryl is scheduled to install the same lights as last year the week of 10/22.
    • 20 additional light poles east of the JTL Lake: $1,100 first year, $500 thereafter.
  1. WACO Title – Not interested in contributing to the cost this year. They will revisit next year.
  2. Duckworth Dentistry – Dr. Duckworth has agreed to contribute $200 this year. Ralph Gresham moved, seconded by Jason Combs to light the 20 additional light poles east of JTL lakes at a cost of $1100.00 and $500.00 for every year thereafter. The motion passed 8-0.
  • The Manning Clinic – Waiting on a decision.
  1. Wells Fargo – Waiting on a decision.

 

  1. Miscellaneous
    • Trash Can installed in Founder’s Park.
    • Dead tree in Founder’s Park removed.
    • Additional shrubbery planted around power boxes in Founder’s to provide more screening.
    • Crepe Myrtles and evergreens trimmed in Founder’s Park median for visibility.
    • Replaced pool room light bulbs.
    • Willow tree planted.
    • Apple Shed gate repaired from storm damage.
    • Annual flowers installed week of 10/20.
    • Moved picnic table to Apple Shed Park.
    • Replaced missing light pole bases.

 

  1. Covenant Violations
    • See attached sheet

Committee Reports:

Architectural Review Committee: presented by Judy Hammond.

  • There were two fences approved on Pippin Apple. one at 383 and the other at 283.

Security and Neighborhood Watch: presented by Office Scott of the Springdale PD.

  • Officer Scott is working on a safe driving course presentation for HBM. He anticipates it would last 30/45 minutes.
  • Every year at Halloween, we usually add extra security support on the evening of Trick-or-Treat. Jason Combs moved, seconded by Bobbye Kelly to approve $250.00 for a total of 10 hours (two officers- 5 hours each) on 10-31-14. The motion passed 8-0.

Lakes: presented by Ralph Gresham.

  • Lakes are in good shape.
  • The well has been off for the past three weeks and they will turn off the pumps on Thanksgiving weekend.

 

Landscape and Facilities Committee: presented by Bobbye Kelly.

  • Very little activity this month due to incapacitation of chairman.
  • Communicated with the Property Manager on the need for additional shrubs to screen around the power boxes in Founders Park and he accomplished that task.
  • Communicated with PM about the need to trim back the shrubbery in Founders Park median as it was once again becoming a safety hazard to traffic. That was done.

 

APPLE SHED/JUNE DR. GREEN SPACE

This area is 213’ long and 91’ wide. A sidewalk surrounds and another one crosses the middle and intersects with a 36’ x 17’ concrete pad with about a 3 x 3’ planting bed in the middle with one day lily. Benches are at both ends of the pad. The pad is surrounded by six oak trees. There is a fairly large pear tree in the SW corner and a dog waste station in the NW corner. Mail boxes are on the south (June Dr.) side, close to the middle. A picnic table with benches was moved to the area and set close to the pear tree this month.

PROPOSAL: This committee proposes adding an arbor (sometimes called a pergola) with a swing on the east end (cost less than $1,000); a fast-growing tree such as seedless green ash or saw tooth oak ($150-200) diagonal to the existing pear tree; and 6-8 (around $200) ornamental grass plants (Big Bluestem or Maiden Grass) within new planting bed(s). Something short needs to be planted around the lily in the center bed. Total cost should be less than $1500. Attached are pictures of pergolas, and a picture of the area.

 

DANCING RABBIT PARK

Pending. Considering a bigger (or 2) arbors/pergolas with picnic table, benches, or swings.

 

 

POOL HOUSE

Pending. Will try to get something together soon, so that any work can be accomplished during the off season.

Long Range Planning Committee;

  • 56th Street —- nothing new
  • Clubhouse Renovations – moved to the Landscape Committee.

 

Old Business Follow-up: none

Voting and Board Authorizations via email: 9-23-14 to 10-27-14 – none

With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:30 p.m..

Respectfully submitted this 24th day of November, 2014.

 

 

 

____________________________                                        ____________________________

 

Rob Frits, President                                                                Nancy Brown, Secretary

 

 

 

 

 

Posted in POA Minutes.

Leave a Reply