November 2012 Minutes

Har-Ber Meadows POA Board Meeting

November 25, 2012

 

Board Members in attendance were: Rob Frits, Judy Hammond, Nancy Brown, Tommy Hensen, Jerry Martin, Rob Stark, Ralph Gresham and Glenn Jones.

Absent were: George Kelly and Jamey Smithson.

Also in attendance were Alicia Hines, Treasurer; and John Duke, Property Manager, and Tom Jefcoat, ARC.

The meeting was called to order at 6:34 p.m. by President, Rob Frits.

Declaration of Quorum: President Rob Frits presiding.

Resident Comments/Concerns: none

New Business:

Winter 2013 Newsletter

  • Rob Frits asked the information be sent to him.
  • Alicia Hines needs the information by 12-10-12 and include notification that dues would remain the same. Dues may be paid in full one time or 1/2 the amount 2 times per year.
  • Rob Frits asked John Duke to write something from his perspective for the newsletter.
  • Tommy Hensen will include something concerning neighborhood security.
  • Rob Frits will submit a year-end review.

Capital Improvements – Sidewalk, Park Benches, and Trees. Jerry Martin submitted the following email for review by the board members prior to the actual meeting.

The following is a brief explanation of the new business items that I requested to be included on the agenda for the board meeting tomorrow evening.

 

Capital Improvements:

  1. Sidewalk improvements: Construct approximately 475 feet of pedestrian sidewalk extending from behind the new Manning Clinic Building under construction on Issac’s Orchard Road and connecting with the sidewalk on the East end of the South pedestrian bridge at a cost of $9,480. This improvement was originally recommended by George Kelly on September 21, 2012 (See attachment). In addition to George’s recommendation, I propose that we extend the sidewalk North from the pedestrian bridge along the west side of Doris Street approximately 940 feet to connect with the sidewalk on the South side of Coyote Crossing at a cost of $19,660. These two segments of sidewalk were included in the original plans for Har-Ber Meadows but were never constructed. The total estimated cost for the proposed sidewalk improvements is $29,140.

Tommy Hensen reminded the board of previous opposition to building a sidewalk the length of Doris. Jerry Martin moved that we just do the 475 foot stretch by the new Manning Clinic, seconded by Ralph Gresham. The funding would come out of the already specified capital improvement funds. The motion passed 8-0.

  1. Park benches: Install a minimum of 4 park benches adjacent to the sidewalks around Har-Ber Lake. We should be able to purchase and install durable benches for $1,000 or less. I recommend that we appropriate $2,000 for the benches and solicit contributions of $500 from businesses or residents in exchange for having their name or a memorial affixed to the bench. If we could get four contributions, this would raise another $2,000 and enable us to install the four benches.

Ralph Gresham moved that we spend up to $2000.00 for benches with plaques to be      applied at a later date . The motion was seconded by Glenn Jones and passed 8-0.

  1. Trees: We need more trees on common property throughout the development. I recommend that we appropriate $3,000 to plant trees (not “street” trees) with the locations and species to be determined by the Landscape Committee.

Jerry Martin made a motion to appropriate $5000.00 and defer to the Landscape Committee to select the trees and planting starting in Caroline and Russell parks. The motion was seconded by Judy Hammond and passed 8-0.

The total cost for the proposed capital improvements is approximately $35,000. We have previously set aside $25,000 for capital improvements that has not be spent. I recommend that we take another $10,000 from our cash in the bank to complete the funding.

 

Voluntary Events Fund: Ask residents to contribute to a voluntary special events fund with the proceeds to be used to fund the annual Christmas and 4th of July celebrations. We could include a place on the annual dues statement for members to contribute an amount of their choosing. I think if we explain the purpose in the newsletter we can collect a significant amount of money resulting in bigger and better special events for our residents.

 

Secretary’s Report: presented by Nancy Brown. The October 2012 Minutes were previously emailed to all board members for review prior to this meeting. Jerry Martin moved, seconded by Judy Hammond to approve the October 2012 Minutes. The motion passed 8-0.

 

Treasurer’s Report: presented by Alicia Hines. Alicia sent the following email to all board members, along with the financial reports, for their review prior to the meeting.

 

I have attached the October financials. A few explanations –

I collected a partial payment in the Signature account.

The down payment for the lights were made in October – final will be
at time of installation. I did record that under fixed assets but did not
reduce the amount of designated funds per our discussions.

Nothing as far as expenses stands out – we have paid monthly bills
including the repair of the bridge and street lights.

The CD paid interest so there is a other revenue entry at the bottom
of the income statement.

The finance committee has questioned whether we need to capitalize the
Christmas lights or just expense them. Jerry would like for us to expense
them and I don’t have a problem with that if all agree. I have recorded the
down payment under the assets as Christmas lights but I can move those to
expense next month when we pay the final payment. I don’t have a problem
with doing that as long as we all agree.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Alicia

 

Jerry Martin moved, seconded by Judy Hammond to approve the Oct. 2012 financials. The motion passed 8-0.

Approval of the 2013 Budget – Rob Frits stated that the Financial Committee along with Alicia had worked on the 2013 budget and he felt comfortable with it. Judy Hammond moved to accept the 2013 budget as proposed, seconded by Nancy Brown. The motion passed 8-0.

 

Property Manager’s Report: presented by John Duke.

John stated he would like to do a bike rack and fence shrubbery at the pool house by Spring. He will set up online voting.

 

Management III, LLC Agenda:

  1. McGill and Dancing Rabbit Improvement – Top soil/sod

Complete

  1. Pet Waste Station (Apple Shed Park)

Complete

 

  1. Bridge Railing – has two bids for removal of rust, prime and paint. They are very far apart and he would like to get another.

 Taking bids

 

  1. Christmas Lights

 Poles installed 11/21. Remaining items are to be installed by 11/23.

 

  1. Common Tree Wrap – were wrapped according to instructions on the package.

 Completed 11/21

 

  1. Common Tree Replacement – orange flag at tree site indicates that warranty can be tracked.

 Planting will begin 11/26 for 26 common area trees

 

  1. Recirculation Pump

 The pump will be turned off on 11/24 until the spring.

 

OLD BUSINESS:

  1. No Parking Signs
  2. Tommy and I have identified the areas of concern. After finalizing our findings, we will schedule a meeting with the city traffic committee to discuss options.

 

  1. Pool House Improvement Discussion – this is the second and lowest bid.
  2. Pony walls and repaint floor with an anti-slip coating – $1,925
  3. Wall Paint – $2,209
  4. Furniture – $2,000
  5. Bike Rack – $1,000
  6. West/East fence perimeter shrubbery – $985
  7. Bathroom & meeting room countertop/backsplash, cabinets, mirror trim – $1,758
  8. TV jack – included in cable hookup
  9. Cabinets – $1,778

 

Committee Reports:

 

ARC: presented by Tom Jefcoat and Judy Hammond

 

The ARC met Tuesday, November 13.

  1. 6479 Norman Avenue–the ARC Committee approved the fence and iron gate relocation and removal of existing concrete pad and installing a flagstone patio.

The committee did not approve the following:
*The pergola, you will need to submit a plan to the ARC

before construction begins.
*The landscape treatment at gate should be resubmitted.

  1. 6854 Harlan–application denied. The committee requested the following information:

The type of material that will be used
A sample of the color that will be used
A complete site plan

The next ARC meeting will be Tuesday, November 27th at 5:15 PM.

 

Security and Neighborhood Watch: presented by Tommy Hensen

  1. 1. A few Information Cards have been put on cars. More in future.
    2 NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH = Mary Schmidt and POA Members were contacted about
    possible leaders
    3 STREET NAMES = For no parking signs
    4 SECURITY REPORT – reported to Tommy Hensen by Michael Hendrix
    Writing on Sidewalk

 

 

Lakes Report: nothing to report.

 

Landscape and Facilities: George Kelly was not present at this meeting.

 

Yard of the Month: presented by Glenn Jones.

He is planning on giving a ‘Yard of the Month’ award for Christmas season decorations.

 

Long Range Planning Committee: reference the New Business Report.

Judy Hammond suggested the possibility of installing a basketball court. She will have more information for the Jan 2013 meeting.

 

Old Business Follow-up: none was on the agenda, but someone suggested we take a look at adding streetlights next year. And Tom Jefcoat suggested we use some resident architects to expand the pool building – possibly a clubhouse plan. This should be part of capital improvements.

 

Alicia Hines added that we have 600 residents which would give us $300,000.00 in dues revenues and 24 commercial properties for another $18,895.00. She also asked for the square footage of the new Manning property to be added to her records.

Rob Frits asked for the percentage of dues that are unpaid. Alicia state 1-2% are not paid. She added that rental properties are approximately 15% and she believes this is stable.

 

Discussion of the December 2012 Meeting: Rob Frits stated that there was no unfinished urgent business and there would be no December meeting. The next board meeting will be Jan. 28, 2013.

 

Voting and Board Authorizations via email: 10-22-12 to 11-24-12

The board voted via email Nov 4-6 to purchase tree wrap at $14.26 per roll for 62 young trees and hire Dale Cramer to do the wrapping for $200.00.

 

With no further business, Jerry Martin moved, seconded by Judy Hammond to adjourn the meeting. The motion passed 8-0. The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.

Respectfully submitted this 26th day of November 2012.

 

 

________________________________

Rob Frits, President

 

 

 

________________________________

Nancy Brown, Secretary

Posted in POA Minutes.

Leave a Reply